Book clubs are a fun and inspiring way to share the joys of reading with others. But when discussing a book as a group, it’s not always easy to know where to start.
Australia Reads has put together some questions that book clubs can adapt for their books and meetings – and help keep the conversation interesting and enjoyable for everyone.
General & Literary Fiction
Get to know the characters
- Did you relate to the main character? Why or why not?
- Which character would you most like to meet in real life?
- What motivated the central character/s in their journey throughout the book?
- What challenges did the characters face, and how did they overcome them?
Dig into the plot
- Were there any plot twists? If so, did you see them coming?
- Was there anything that was confusing or unresolved about the book?
- What did you think of the ending?
- What was your favourite scene, or a scene that stayed with you?
- If the book is set in a different time period, did you learn anything new about that time and place?
Discuss the writing
- Was the author doing anything interesting or different with language?
- Were there any lines or passages that particularly stuck with you?
- How do you think the title of the book related to the story?
- Did you get a sense of the character’s voice/s through the writing
Look at the big picture
- What were some of the main themes or ideas of the book?
- What patterns or connections did you notice?
- Did the book give you any insights into experiences outside of your own? If so, what did you learn?
- How did the book make you feel overall?
- If you could ask the author one thing, what would it be?
Non-fiction & Genre
- What was the most surprising thing you learned about the subject matter?
- How does the author explore the subject matter? Are they objective or do they involve themselves in it?
- Did you find the book accessible to read or difficult?
- Are you interested in reading more, or alternate perspectives, on the subject?
Crime & thrillers
- Which plot twists surprised you the most? Which did you see coming?
- How does the author build suspense in the novel?
- Which characters did you find most compelling?
- Was there anything that felt unresolved or confusing about the plot?
- If the book is a series, did you want to read more?
- Was the chemistry between the characters believable? Were you rooting for them?
- What obstacles did the characters face in their romance? How did they overcome them?
- How did the setting or time period influence or enhance the romance?
- Do you think the characters live happily ever after?
- Why do you think the author was compelled to share their story?
- Did you relate to their journey or story in any way?
- How does or doesn’t the author’s voice come through in the writing?
- Was there anything you wanted to know more about or you felt was missing?
- Did the book teach you anything or make you reflect on your own life differently?
Interested in running a book club but don’t know where to start? Download and share our handy guide – including top tips, book club prompts, and more.